Friday, December 13, 2013

Earth Altar - Animism


The God Spirits arise from Nature.  They do this when we begin to call Nature names.  Nature responds to the Names we give it - just like when we call a cat or dog a name it takes a certain amount of time and repetition for the animal to figure out that that is what it is called, so it is with Nature.   Am I saying it is possible to train Nature?  I think we have.

Nature is Consciousness but that consciousness becomes fragmented by attaching different names to different natural phenomena.  In the early days it may have learnt to respond in a certain way when it is called Enlil and in another way when it is called Enki, but after a while these fledgling proto-personalities within nature's consciousness become more and more individuated. When one group of people in one part of the planet were calling power and lightning Zeus and another group of people in another part were calling it Enlil so Nature learned to respond to both names with similar phenomena. As time progressed and cultures diversified and became more intricate so did these personalities within the consciousness of nature.   Nature appears to be ''heteronymic'' and it is almost as if Fernando Pessoa spoke for Nature itself when he said:

"I've divided all my humanness among the various authors whom I've served as literary executor, I subsist as a kind of medium of myself, but I'm less real than the others, less substantial, less personal, and easily influenced by them all." - Fernando Pessoa





Maria
Maria
They call the wind Maria

Away out here they got a name
For rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess, the fire Joe,
And they call the wind Maria

Maria blows the stars around
And sends the clouds a'flyin'
Maria makes the mountains sound
Like folks were up there dying

Maria
Maria
They call the wind Maria

Before I knew Maria's name
And heard her wail and whinin'
I had a girl and she had me
And the sun was always shinin'

But then one day I left my girl
I left her far behind me
And now I'm lost, so gone and lost
Not even God can find me

Maria
Maria
They call the wind Maria

*Out here they got a name for rain
For wind and fire only*
But when you're lost and all alone
There ain't no word but lonely

And I'm a lost and lonely man
Without a star to guide me
Maria blow my love to me
I need my girl beside me

Maria
Maria
They call the wind Maria

Maria
Maria!
Blow my love to me

When I started calling on Enlil it is almost as if alongside/underneath the response from the spirit himself - Nature thought (perhaps even sentimentally/romantically) ''now there is a name I haven't heard in a long time''.  God(esses) are as real and individuated as you or I.  Take that how you will.

''I've created various personalities within. I constantly create personalities. Each of my dreams, as soon as I start dreaming it, is immediately incarnated in another person, who is then the one dreaming it, and not I. To create, I've destroyed myself. I've so externalized myself on the inside that I don't exist there except externally. I'm the empty stage where various actors act out various plays.'' - Fernando Pessoa


9 comments:

  1. Elohim (Powers) has the same numerical value as Tevah (Nature) and comes from the same roo as the work He'Ellem (to hide), meaning that the Divine hides in nature as various persona/masks of Power. The thing is... just as we have forgotten our source and our potential, so too other Powers have delusions of independence....

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, but it's important to remember that in the process of tikkun, we are the Vav. When we experience and interact with what we "see," we have the ability to relate, or nail it back to God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am assuming you two believe in transcendent deity as opposed to being pantheists. Please confirm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in an immanent and transcendent Divine which is a single unified whole. Not sure what that would be labelled as... In my current way of thinking, the tzimtzum is real from our (illusionary) perception but not real from the point of view of the Divine. So the Divine is in all of Creation, but Creation is not all of the Divine.

      Delete
  4. Familiar with the legendary heresiarch Shabbatai Tzvi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbatai_Zevi... I've heard of him and come across his name numerous times in books by G. Scholem and M. Idel, but Ive not read his works.

      Delete
    2. He has some interesting metaphysics (via Nathan of Gaza) when it comes to the infinite Go versus the finite God but effectively the Infinite can't and doesn't ''matter''. Therefore the finite God of Israel (YHVH - El) is the only God ''worth'' worshipping. He also has great ideas developed along the concept of TzimTzum and a unique understanding of the Kelipot. Its all worth getting your head around IMHO. Most of what I know is taken from the relevant sections in Scholem.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, I will read through Scholem's book on Tzvi in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it would be most fair to say that Creation as we experience it is made of consciousness, which is a characteristic of the life of God, though Creation does not have within it every aspect of the infinite God's being. That is, you cannot find every bit of God within Creation. That's the basic paradox of God being both transcendent and immanent at the same time.

    The "Fall," as I understand and I believe you also understand it, represents the separation of Creation from God in our experience, in that we perceive "the world" as something physical and separate from ourselves and from the Infinite. The Garden of Eden, in this context, is a state of perception which humans are, for the large part, no longer privy to. At least not without a lot of work. While from the POV of God, Creation may be a part or extension of Him, unless we are "in the garden" we do not see it that way.

    I do believe I get the gist of the "beyond matter doesn't matter" argument, though I don't necessarily agree with it. In the version of Christian metaphysics I subscribe to, the Crucifixion unites us to the Infinite in the suffering of the Incarnate Word, and the Spirit of Love unites us to Creation, effecting tikkun.

    ReplyDelete