Thursday, May 25, 2017

The WMT - Chaos Protocols and Financial Sorcery


Nam Zid Tara walked by Enlil who said to him:  ''Where have you come from?''
''From Enlil's Temple.  My turn of duty is finished.  I serve at the place of the Gudu priests, with their sheep. I am on my way home now.  Don't stop me; I am in a hurry. Who are you who asks me questions?''
''I am Enlil'' - he had changed his appearance to that of a raven and was croaking.
''You are not a raven you are really Enlil!''
''How did you recognise that I am Enlil who decrees the destinies?''
'"When your uncle En Me Cara was a captive, after taking for himself the rank of Enlil, said 'Now I shall know the fates, like a lord.'''
''You may acquire precious stones, you may acquire cattle or sheep, but the days of a human being are always numbered so where does your wealth lead?  Now, I am indeed Enlil who decrees the fates, what is your name?''
''My name is Nam Zid Tara (well blessed).''
''Your fate shall be assigned according to your name: Leave the house of your masters and your heirs shall regularly come and go in my temple.'' declared Enlil.
The Raven of Enlil

One of the best moments of last year's Occulture was the phone hangout of Gordon White and Jason Miller - both prominent esoteric authors and both with books out on Financial Magic.  I wanted to comment at the time but didn't feel I could because I didn't own a copy of Chaos Protocols and had worked with Financial Sorcery.  I enjoy head to head debates and arguments rather than the more friendly podcasts that are put out by Runesoup and its nice to see authors challenged and stretched by each other while remaining in civil discourse as opposed to handling sycophancy, lunacy, politics, ''chat'' and newbies on social or otherwise media - i.e.  peer battle as opposed to teachers/students authors/fans dynamic.

On Financial Sorcery, Jason Miller certainly knows his audience, and the book provides practical (non-magickal) advice on managing finances that the readers may not otherwise read unless it was presented in a sorcery book.  Miller often rails against the money shy pagan/occultist demographic fully aware that a lot of them struggle to realise their goals and make their life dreams come true because of their own aversion to dealing with their often gruesome financial reality - whether it be ignoring their debt or ''hating capitalism''.  Although my financial situation is solid and I don't need the majority of the muggly advice, the magickal aspects of the book especially the selection of Jupiterian sigils are absolute dynamite.  From my perspective the rest of the book is wrapping paper and that is not to disparage the writing but just to raise the spirit work that Miller has done to its proper level.  I would recommend buying the book for nothing more than those sigils as long as you are planning to use them.

I managed to avoid Amazon for a long time (they didn't deliver in this part of the world) but it is certainly taking its toll on my wallet now and without it I wouldn't be able to comment on the second book - Chaos Protocols.  This is more my kind of book - although its more practical than I expected White is not beyond waxing theoretic (which I like) and contains inspirational rhetoric that hits its target. Although I would argue against the ''probabilistic universe'' model these days, it was certainly my go to understanding of reality for the majority of time working with practical magic and I can understand why it is the dominant way of seeing things.  I enjoyed seeing some of White's esoteric toolkit laid out in the way it was and comparing and contrasting with my own and I think some fascinating points are raised at the end in the extremely brief Annunaki section that we will not see discussed to the depth that they would enjoy, at least in public.  One of the central arguments between Miller and White was Jupiter vs Trickster Gods as to who is the superior ally in the current economic climate and at the time I wrote a somewhat spirited defence of Jupiter.  I didn't know about this ''Annunaki'' section in Chaos Protocols and, truth be told, as part of the Gentlemen for Jupiter I have never worked with Jupiter the deity but only ''the current'' and always under the auspices of Enlil, the Lord of the Annunaki. Although White seemingly has a different take on what is meant by the Annunaki (more of the ancient aliens conspiratorial version or rather that this is something can be tapped into chaos magic style) and seems to be doing different magic to me there is a lot of room for exploration.  If you haven't stepped out of the Western ''comfort zone'' of Greek, Roman, Celtic and Norse and dabbled in Ancient Mesopotamian pantheons you may find such endeavours rewarding on all sorts of levels. Just sayin'... I also find this work to beautifully dovetail with my work in Sefer Yetzirah.  The more interesting argument in this kind of discussion might be Enlil vs Enki as opposed to Jupiter vs Mercury.



Which one to buy?  If you're totally broke then neither - buy a sandwich.  If you have enough money for one and you need it to be an investment that will save your ass then you should buy Financial Sorcery.  It contains the right mixture of down-to-earth advice and magic that would get you on your feet again - but make sure you find a way of using the sigils.   If you have wiggle room buy them both to compare and contrast as anyone will always get more out of that than following only one source of advice.

My own approach to financial work was different to the majority of the Gentlemen for Jupiter.  While I used a Miller sigil for one project I broke with the Rufus Opus style mash-up ritual that was popular at the time and focussed entirely on Liber Astarte vel Berylli* to forge an intimate relationship with Enlil whom I also evoked often in the best Sumerian I can manage.  I accompanied this with around thirty pathwalkings (physical and astral) based on the letter Gimel - hard and soft - and theatrical ritual (staging plays) with a focus on ''Jupiterian'' symbolism to connect more completely with the current.  This relationship led to my ongoing dialogue with Raziel which is in the most part about embracing destiny as opposed to maintaining a belief in the ''open'' probabilistic universe**. In comparing myself with other practitioners I can say my approach was not unnecessarily complicated, supported by my understanding of Sefer Yetzirah, exclusive, rigorous and consistent and it made a great deal of difference in lasting results.
Enlil's commands are by far the loftiest, his words are holy, his utterances are immutable! The fate he decides is everlasting, his glance makes the mountains anxious, his... reaches into the interior of mountains.  All the Gods of the Earth bow down to Father Enlil, who sits comfortable upon his dais, the lofty engur, to Nunamnir, whose lordship and princeship are most perfect.  The Annunaki enter before him and obey his instructions perfectly.

Hymn to Enlil, Sumerian myth, Clay Tablet, 3000BC

*Say what you like about this new crop of authors but they're not Aleister Crowley.
**This is more complicated than this sentence can do justice and has been discussed in great length in the posts labelled time travel.  The important correctives are that your decisions, whatever they may be, largely aggregate into the same end results which gives you ''probabilistic'' type freedom only at certain moments and only on to other fixed linear narratives and that the rest of the ''probabilistic'' universe is a dead void.  A metro system is probably the best way of understanding it from our 3d point of view.

1 comment:

  1. Good analysis. I've read both, and I find they complement one another. Indeed, Miller gives you tech you can put to use quickly, but Gordon gives you the alternative recent history to shake you free of the dominant economic paradigm. I find that the majority of people I deal with just can't grasp that the economic game -- and therefore the necessary life strategies to navigate it -- have changed completely.

    ReplyDelete